Sections to view

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bold, Beautiful...Art

I never would have thought that I’d be speaking the same words as my parents, but they were right…time goes by SO fast!


A lot has happened over the past six months and during that time I’ve come across some really amazing artists that have taken my breath away.

On a recent trip to Henessey and Ingalls, a fantastic art and architecture bookstore located on Whilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica, I happened upon a stunning book from artist Glenn Brown.  Sumptuous oil paints and luscious colours jumping off the page.  I wish that I could see the work first hand. Not knowing much about him, I did a little bit of research and learned that every piece he develops is based on the work of another artist.  Nothing original and yet his stylistic representation and artistic voice allows each piece to be just that.



The same fantastical experience happened when I was in Laguna Beach for my summer jaunt to the Sawdust Festival.  You never know what you’re going to find there.  Wonderful artists and artisans toting their wares and often the visit is highlighted by a glass-blowing demonstration.  Watching an artist at work can be a very special experience, even if it is out in public for a commercial purpose because regardless of the situation and environment, much of the technique still remains.  It’s engrained in their action and movement and shines though amidst the queries and distractions of audience interaction.

While visiting Laguna, I decided to take a walk into town and came across my second find of the summer, Vladamir Kush.  Ay vai vai vai!  Contemporary surrealism in a bold vibrant palate?  Yes, please.   I spent about an hour in the gallery looking at the paintings from all angles, trying to figure out what shade went where to make the ones beside them stand out.  Some were clever, others straight forward, but all in all, stunning to the eye.

 

What I love about both of these artists is that they don't shy away from using bold colour and they've clearly developed a voice for themselves through their artwork.  

It was an inspiring summer of artistic adventures, indeed.

Galleries representing Glenn Brown:
Patrick Painter (Los Angeles)
Gagosian Gallery (New York, London)
Galerie Max Hetzler (Berlin)

No comments:

Post a Comment