Sections to view

Monday, February 7, 2011

Charles Bukowski at the Huntington

For another week, an exhibition on American poet Charles Bukowski will be at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in Pasadena.

I have to admit that for me it was a little strange to think of Bukowski's work to be featured in an environment as pristine and refined as the Huntington.  But nonetheless, I was thrilled to find it there.  The exhibition is in a small space filled with glass display cases that encapsulate memorabilia related to his life starting from his youth, touching on his postal working years and continuing on to through his fame.  It's filled with correspondence and poetry, publications and images chronicling the progression of his gritty world-view and events from his life.

After I read ever word of the exhibition, I was off to enjoy the gardens and the permanent library museum collection.
Something about this handwriting enraptured me this time around.  I spent forever staring into the case, looking at the curvature and thinking about how details like penmanship  are becoming lost art forms in our contemporary world.
This other curvy piece caught my eye, too.  Look at how wonderful the movement of the leaves are and how it builds up to a crown of happy little grapes.  I just want to pinch it!  Rococo as an art form is certainly on the top of my list of favorites.
Thus, every time I go to the Huntington I have to visit my favorite piece Cupid Among Roses, by Fragonard.  Here's a close up.  The softness, the shapes, the predominantly subtle palette...it takes my breath away.
 
And who knew that this time around, I would stumble upon something as unexpected as Bukowski...works by Warhol that are new to the collection.  

As always, my day long visit to the Huntington was well worth the drive and filled me with inspiration for weeks to come.

The Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens are open:

Monday12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
TuesdayClosed
Wednesday12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Sunday10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Tel: 626-405-2100

Address: 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108

No comments:

Post a Comment