Sections to view

Friday, November 19, 2010

Historic Beauty

Recently, I've been spending a lot of time in downtown LA.  What's happening there is truly amazing.   New shops, great restaurants, events and sporting complexes, but what I love most of all is the preservation and conservation of the beautiful traditional architecture that already exists.  It adds such a unique quality to the area that really is special.

For instance the Orpheum Theatre.

From the moment you enter the lobby you're greeted by marble columns, balustrades and trompe l'oeil murals.




And entering the theatre just took my breath away.


Vaulted ceilings, worn tapestries, an incredible gilded, relief carved façade.  I think my heart stopped and jaw dropped for a good minute.

And the ceiling was just incredible.

 
I'm so appreciative for the people out there who recognize this beauty and go to great lengths to preserve it.  It certainly is an undertaking, but the result will allow downtown Los Angeles to secure its place as a historical landmark.

Tours are available through the Los Angeles Conservancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment